The death of a loved one can trigger a lot of emotions. On top of mourning the loss of your loved one, there are items that need to be done in a timely manner. Here are a few items for immediate consideration:
- Contact a funeral provider
- Provide information to the funeral provider in order to get a death certificate
- Locate a will or trust. Review to see if there are specific funeral wishes.
- For Veterans: Notify the local VA office
- Do not sign any beneficiary claim forms until you understand the company’s contractual and/or tax ramifications
- Check with insurance company on keeping some of the death benefit with them, as their interest rate may be very competitive
- Contact an Estate Planning Attorney to discuss Estate Administration Issues and possibly Probate.
We have a checklist with 21 items listed for items to consider doing during the first month. Some of them are time sensitive. If you would like to schedule an appointment to meet with our Attorney to review the next steps, contact our office at 916-333-0833.
The Swenson Law Firm assists clients in Probate and Estate Administration Matters in Northern California. Our vision is to make every person who walks into our door to feel better. We so this by replacing uncertainty with knowledge and fear with hope.